Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I Looked In on a Butterfly Today

By Candace K Hardin


I looked in on a butterfly today.


She was so delicate
Yet could not breathe.
Her colors were soft, quiet, fading.
I held her hand
As she breathlessly thanked me
And let me pray.
“God bless you” the butterfly whispered
With some of the last of her breath.
Her wings are weak.
She will not fly again
Until she arrives at her new home.



 
I sat with a flower today.
So tall and strong and rich with color
This flower was
As he cried for the loss of
His companion flower for so many years.
Other smaller yet tender flowers gathered around him
Holding his hands and wiping his tears.
He looked at me
and spoke of trusting God
In this time of loss.
Such a beautiful flower
He is.
Yet the place beside him
Is empty now.


I rushed to the side of a little mouse today.
She cried and cried and cried
Until she could not breathe.
I asked her to breathe
Slow,
Strong,
Through her nose and out her mouth.
The little mouse finally calmed down
From all her shaking.
She was so scared of loosing her beloved,
But her beloved finally got better.
The little mouse talked on her phone
And squeaked her apologies
About scaring the others
who were not there.
She apologized and apologized
To the absent others on the other side of the phone.
I petted the little mouse
And said she had nothing to
Apologize for.
It was truly a scary time
And anybody would be afraid
And would call home.


I watched a rainbow work today.
This rainbow shined and hung over so many who hurt
giving them her love
and care and color.
She represented
God's rainbow promise
that he will always be with us
no matter the storms
we have to face.
I heard one griever say,
“She made me feel better.
She is so gentle and calming.”
I am guessing that calming rainbow paid a price
Of her own peace and strength
In order to shelter and encourage
The faltering hearts and souls
She was in charge of today.

God bless the fading butterfly.
God bless the lonely flower.
God bless the trembling mouse.
God bless the brilliant rainbow.
God thank you for blessing me with them all today.

1 comment:

  1. You, dear friend, have a lot on your heart and mind. Your last three posts are full of deep wonderful raw thoughts. I am so glad you are writing for others to see and read. There are many of us who need to hear your words!

    ReplyDelete