Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bundle in Pink

A while back when I was at one of our several locales of BAPTIST HEALTH hospitals, I was on my way towards a morning coffee and snack when I heard a screaming baby. As I kept walking towards my destination, there was this little three or four month old anchored in her stroller next to her grandfather. He was attached to an oxygen cannula and seemed to not have much leeway or energy to intervene. He could only sit helplessly by. 

I asked the grandfather--over the blood-curtling, tear-flowing screams of the baby girl--if I could please hold her. He welcomed me to please try. 

Soon I was cradling that little, sniffling, dressed-in-pink baby. She somewhat laid her head on my shoulder as I walked her in circles around the table where her grandfather sat. I patted her on the back and spoke gentleness to her. Still she tuned up pretty strong after a minute or two. It was her mother (who was in line in the cafeteria) that she really wanted. 

I handed the baby back to the grandfather. By that time the crying and screaming had renewed to its original pitch. Soon the mama appeared and scooped up her baby and all the crying INSTANTLY stopped. She thanked me for trying.

I love it when I get to love like that at work. 
I love it when I get to see love in action like the baby for her mom and the mom for her baby.

Most of my work is filled with trauma, sadness, and grief. It's a good day when part of it is filled with a little bundle of pink . . . even if it was screaming.




No comments:

Post a Comment